Wednesday 13 October 2010

Autumn Harvest

Earlier in the year I told you about my wee vegetable patch. I had planned to follow this up on the blog but never got round to. Anyway, for such a small patch it was very productive. We had courgettes, carrots, peas, broad beans and best of all loads and loads of lovely cherry tomatoes, so many that we were giving bags of them away to family, friends and neighbours! I still had loads leftover so the domestic goddess in me (haha!!) decided that the store cupboard should be filled with lovely chutneys for those cold winter months ..... don't they look lovely?

This is only a few of the jars. I think I have made too much so will be giving it away to folk. I've made 5 x Green Tomato Chutney ('cos loads weren't ripe enough to eat!), 7 x Apple, Pear & Tomato Chutney, 5 x Chilli Jam (altho' it's more like a jelly, but 'jam' it said on the recipe!) and with those marvellous Seville oranges from a tin (yes I know it's cheating but I always forget to buy Seville oranges in January!) six large jars of marmalade, which is all mine as I'm the only one in the house who likes it...yum!!

6 comments:

  1. You are making me hungry! LOL. Did you know that you can freeze tomatoes? We cut up our extras and freeze them for soup, etc in the winter. They do break down a little, but in soup it doesn't make a difference. We usually have enough frozen tomatoes and green papper to takes us through the winter. Looks like you have been very busy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look fabulous so I expect they will taste great too. I am sure they would make great little Xmas extras.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Your little patch did very well, more to the point - so did you! Your family are very fortunate to share your produce, it looks yummy! Gill x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Janice - I'm hoping to add them into gift baskets at Christmas along with some more edible homemade goodies. I hate the till-jangling Christmases that we are swept towards so all my gifts this year will be handmade..with love!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good idea, Teresa, I never thought of making some batches of soup and freezing them. Guess what I'll be doing tomorrow with the last of the tomatoes?

    ReplyDelete
  6. nothing better than hot buttered toast with jam yum!

    I love the Autumn can remember my mum making jam and blackberrie and apple pie as we picked the blackberries and apples great time of year

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, so please leave a message to let me know you've called by x